It’s that time of the year when the first cold or sore throat strikes. Your immune system does a great job of defending you against germs. But it needs to be in balance to function at its best, when its is out of whack, we become susceptible to everything that is going around the office!
Here are 7 tips to maintain a healthy immune system:
1. Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat. The immune system needs good and regular nourishment.
2. Don't sweat the small stuff. Learn how to tap into a feeling of calm to keep your blood pressure under check. Here are 3 easy ways to find the calm.
3. Exercise regularly, even in Winter, movement nourishes the body on a cellular level.
4. Drink alcohol in moderation, make it a treat rather than an everyday. When our liver tries to break down alcohol, the resulting chemical reaction can damage its cells. This damage can lead to inflammation and scarring as the liver tries to repair itself. Alcohol can also damage our intestine which lets toxins from our gut bacteria get into the liver. These toxins can also lead to inflammation.
5. Maintain a healthy weight, tempting though it is to eat comfort food when it’s cold, keep on making good food choices and stop eating when you feel satisfied.
6. Wash your hands often especially after your daily commute and before you eat, to help you to avoid infection.
7. Get enough sleep. Melatonin, the sleep hormone, starts to release at around 9pm, make sure that you have switched off your devices and are getting ready for bed.
Saturday 7th November 3pm - 5pm £25
As the cycle of the year turns and the days become shorter and our energy levels may begin to dip, take a little time out to nourish yourself with a deeply rejuvenating workshop this Autumn. We will focus on creating optimal conditions to release holding patterns in the mind, body and breath and look to connect with the universal reservoir of prana (energy) so that when we encounter stressful situations we are are in a better place to deal with them peacefully.
This workshop will consist of mindful movement, soothing restorative yoga (where poses are held and props are used to support the body) plus pranayama and mudras that promote equilibrium in the nervous system. Our practice will cumulate in a blissful guided savasana.
Budokon UK Director, Ryan CM is teaching a Budokon workshop, The Way of the Spiritual Warrior on Saturday 21st November 3pm – 5.30pm. Join us for a fusion of yoga, martial arts and meditation. Budokon is a mind and body art form which explores the physical, emotional and spiritual body through movement. You will explore the evolutionary potential of Power and Vinyasa Flow yoga by integrating martial arts techniques, innovative sequences, and core-strengthening transitions into your practice.
You will master signature techniques of Budokon, such as rolling wave, rolling vinyasa, dancing dog, water wheel, coiling dragon and more!
The yoga-martial fusion segment will follow with a brief trip into the jungle where we will play with some animal movement patterns, followed by a chilled-out cool down and a sumptuous savasana.
Warriors of all levels welcome, no previous experience necessary!
The workshop is £30 but you can book now using the promo code OMYOGA to get £5 off! The code expires on the 28th October, so get booking! Good Vibes members can get £5 off this workshop right up to the start date.
Dance Conditioning Bootcamp on Saturday 28th November, get ready for the party season with a high energy dance conditioning workshop with Antonia who brings her dance experience to the Glow studio. Pack your mat away and get ready to work hard and enjoy some fluid movement.This workshop will teach you short but simple dance steps and routines that will help you improve your balance and coordination.
It will help you sculpt and improve the appearance of your body by elongating and toning the muscles,creating a healthy and elegant posture, increasing strength and fitness as well as body awareness and flexibility. Be prepared to run, jump and turn to the rhythm as well as have fun!
Antonia welcomes individuals of all levels of experience and physical fitness.Book here.
You can bring a friend to class for 50% off if they are new to us. Just send us their details and we will do the rest.
And if you are looking to get even deeper, our bookings have opened up for the Good Vibes yoga Holiday in Greece 2016. Early bird prices if you book before January 31st 2016, rooms allocated on a first come, first served basis, so hurry! More details here.
See you in class!
Nahid and the #GoodVibes team x
*subject to availability.
27 October 2015