Mindfulness is the gentle effort required to be fully present with your experience. If that sounds a little daunting, here are 5 easy ways to be mindful in your everyday life.
1. Do one thing at a time, multi-tasking is for adrenaline addicts. Give your brain the space to do one thing well and give the task the respect that it deserves.
2. Have meaningful interactions. Pay attention to the person talking to you. Don't text, instragram, facebook, googleglass or tweet. Listen fully and engage. You will both walk away richer from the experience.
3. Be in nature at least once a day. It is good to focus on something bigger than us and our problems. Take a stroll, smell the change in seasons, be glad to be alive.
4. Be grateful for one thing everyday. You've got food on your plate? Lucky you! 842 million people in the world do not have enough to eat. Be grateful for the things you take for granted. Close your eyes and say a little thank you for your meal every time you sit down to eat.
5. Focus on the air you breath. Close your eyes, take a steady inhale through the nostrils and then a steady exhale through the nostrils - this counts as one round. Repeat this for 10 rounds. Slowly open your eyes and notice that your mind feels more balanced and still.
27 March 2014